Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 6, 2014

EAT CHOW – Costa Mesa Mexican Flair.



This little gem is tucked away behind Newport Beach Blvd. in beautiful Costa Mesa, California.  The menu is a mix between Mexican, Asian and European inspired dishes but to be honest I fount it more Mexican inspired with a twist of surfer style.  The cuisine was healthy with fresh ingredients. 

The service was exceptional as I was pleasantly surprised to be asked if I would like an espresso or café while I waited for a table.  I took a Chai Tea Latte and I must say Starbucks cannot hold a torch to the rich creaminess ran down my mouth onto my sweater.  It was superb!  I would be amiss not to say that it was hands down the best Chai Tea Latte I had ever had.  But do not get me side tracked as food was just as excellent.

This establishment serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I chose to visit on Super bowl Sunday for brunch and I as not disappointed.  The café closed at 3pm to allow the staff to participate in the Super Bowl fun – that was a nice surprise to see an employer care about its staffs’ happiness.  A surprise given today’s economy when the little guy is left to the side lines.

Well I ordered the Quesadilla’s which was technically flawless.  Made with mushrooms, onions, pablano peppers, cotija cheese, a rich chipotle sauce and a crème the taste was an explosion of flavors each biting against the other ingredients?  The waitress said “it was different” and she was right the only words that come to mind to explain the taste are wow, bang and POW. 

The Chorizo Scramble was made with farm fresh eggs, chorizo, cheese and onions.  Flavorful yes but not the best thing on the menu that you could order as it was something that anyplace could scramble up.  It was not bad just not what I would order again.

The menu is quite extensive from Baja Style Fish Tacos to Truffle Mac and Cheese you will not be disappointed.  The recommended dishes are the Truffle Parmesan Fries, Fried Green Tomatoes and the French Dip rubbed with herbs and sea salt served with horseradish cream and on a toasted brioche bun.  If you want to tease your palate for dessert order the Vanilla Lavender Pot Due Crème.  It might not sound like anything but the fresh berry compote will surprise you.

The service is friendly and attentive.  The prices for brunch and lunch are reasonable.  Dinner selections are higher but will within reach.  This is one establishment that blends portions and price.  You will NOT be disappointed.  You can even bring your best friend as it’s a dog friendly establishment. 

4 Forks Up due to exceptional service, affordability and my taste buds are still singing to me.  Located at 1802 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa, California 92627.  Open 7am – 9pm Sunday – Thursday and 7am – 10pm Friday and Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment