Monday, February 25, 2013
Low Calorie Summer Salmon Pasta
As the weather begins to turn and warm up it is time to get ready for swimsuit weather. As I look down at my tummy and all the winter eating I notice a substantial amount of winter warmth surrounding my mid-section. It is time to lose the freshman five and show off your bikini body. Eating healthy is now the new “motto”. This delicious low calorie salmon dish is just what the doctor ordered. It makes a great lunchtime treat sitting out on the patio. It is great chilled.
Salmon and Tarragon Pasta
1 salmon fillet
40-50g (when uncooked) penne pasta
1/3 cup of chopped red onion
1 clove of garlic crushed
5 Asparagus spears cut diagonally in half
1 large handful plum cherry tomatoes sliced lengthways
1 tbsp pine nuts (toast for 2 minute in a dry pan first)
1 lemon zest
1/2 lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup of fresh tarragon
Prepare as follows:
1. Season salmon with salt and pepper, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C for 15-20mins.
2. While the salmon is baking, chop up the garlic, onion and tomatoes and toast the pine nuts – stir repeatedly to keep from burning.
3. Add pasta to a pot of salted boiling water
4. Fry up the garlic, onion and tomato in a little olive oil. Drain cooked pasta and add to the pan.
5. Add in Tarragon
6. Take salmon out of oven and flake into the pasta. Squeeze in 1/2 lemon juice and stir in lemon zest and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Stir together and serve.