Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 8, 2013

THE COURT OF TWO SISTERS – JAZZ BRUNCH SOUTHERN STYLE



Where Jazz comes to play, if you are looking for a jazz brunch, look no further than The Court of Two Sisters.  Located in the French Quarter on Royal Street known as “Governor’s Row” this block was once the home to five governors, two state Supreme Court Juices and the future President of the United States.    The royal governor of colonial Louisiana once lived at this address.

Sisters Emma and Bertha resided here.  There were sisters of a proud aristocratic family.  The sisters died within 2 months of each other and are buried side by side at St. Louis Cemetery No. 3.  Now the Court of Two Sisters is owned by two brothers not related to Emma and Bertha but sworn to keeping the tradition of the two sisters alive today.

The Court of Two Sisters is the only historic restaurant in New Orleans which features a strolling jazz trio.  The assemble plays 7 days a week and during brunch.

We were lucky enough to attend the jazz brunch without reservations.  The jazz music was off the hook.  It was traditional Southern Jazz so do not expect any rock music influence.

Brunch consisted of a fabulous buffet which included, Peel and Eat Shrimp, Crawfish, Salads, Omelets, Eggs Benedict, Tender Roast Beef, Fresh Shrimp in Spicy Etouffee, Duck à l' orange, Crawfish Louise, Creole Jambalaya, and Southern BBQ Pork Ribs just to name a few of the samplings.  Dessert included Mardi Gras King Cake, Southern Pecan Pie, Bananas Foster, Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce and various cakes and pies.   The Pecan Pie left me wanting more and the Bananas Forster I kept going back for seconds until my pants could not fit anymore.

 






For those who have never experienced Turtle Soup with Sherry it really was good.  The Sherry added the kick that the soup needed to stand above the rest.  I do not think that I could have enjoyed it without that dollop of Sherry.  The Shrimp Etouffee was spicy so it is not for westerners.  The Creamy Crawfish and Spinach Pasta was nothing like I had ever tasted and I am not sure I could do it justice describing it.  Yes, you just had to be there.  The Pork Ribs fell of the bone.  I do not believe that there was a single dish that disappointed me.  Even the price was reasonable.  I was expecting $50 per person but was happily surprised to find it under $30 per person.  If you pace yourself you will not be eating till dinner time therefore its 2 meals for the price of one.

The service was excellent.  I kept wondering why I could not get the same service out in California.  I will admit the service in New Orleans is people friendly and spot on.  I was never disappointed.  I think everyone needs to take lessons from the citizens of New Orleans they were friendly and generous much like the Canadians. 

All in all you must give this place a try when in New Orleans.  The food, service and price are reasonable.  3.5 Forks Up because it is your go too.  The Court of Two Sisters cook books can be bought at gift shops throughout the French Quarter.  I got mine!

The Court of Two Sisters - 613 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA.












No comments:

Post a Comment